Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine's Day is meat

For Valentine's Day this year, my husband and I decided to celebrate early. On Saturday, we got dressed up and went to Outback Steakhouse... along with most of the elderly population of the city, apparently. We figured there would be a long wait if we went between 5 and 8 PM, so we went at 4 PM -- and got seated amid a crowd of bluehairs.

We split a small order of the Aussie cheese fries, which is the the "Worst Food in America", according to Men's Health magazine. Of course, Men's Health is basically Cosmo for dudes and has the same articles over and over again. Anyway, I think the reason Men's Health decries the Aussia cheese fries is because the appetizer comes with a side of Ranch dressing and they assume you will drink the rest of it after you eat the fries. Aside from the dressing, the fries don't really seem that bad -- it's a plate full of average-looking French fries with a less-than-generous smattering of Colby Jack cheese and about 4 little bacon bits. The Wikipedia article on Outback Steakhouse says they fry everything in vegetable shortening, so perhaps therein lies the rub.

Anyway. For dinner, I had a 9-oz. steak, medium rare (judging from the pictures here, I should have gotten it rare. What? I like my steak to moo when I cut into it), with a blue cheese crust; mixed vegetables; and a baked potato with sour cream, bacon, and green onions. My husband got the same, except a bigger, more well-cooked steak and mashed potatoes instead of baked.

The most shocking part of the evening was when the waitress came over, asked if we had saved room for dessert, and proceeded to describe their featured dessert, the "Cinnamon Oblivion". My husband, who is not a sweets-eater by any stretch of the imagination, abruptly said, "We'll take that one!" They brought out Mt. Ice Cream, which we scaled with two giant spoons, until we could take no more.

When we got home, my husband flopped down on the couch and said, "I don't feeeeeel good."

How was YOUR Valentine's Day?

No comments: